Yes, you can use Peloton without the internet. However, you will need internet to first preload a class, after which slow to no internet will not affect the class. However, this is only possible for Android and iOS digital app users.
Bike users can also get access to Peloton bike rides without the internet. Sadly, this is only possible for the ‘Just Ride’ feature. You know, the Peloton feature that allows you freelance bike rides without an instructor, music or other Peloton users.
Peloton Digital App Classes Without Internet
Fortunately, the digital app on Android and iOS allows for preloading any of the Peloton classes. Preloading the classes ensures that you have a smooth class when you have internet hiccups or when you want to minimise data usage.
How to Preload a Peloton Class
Let’s skip to the process;
- Firstly, select the Peloton class you want to take while the internet is working.
- Underneath the class name and description on the left side is an option to preload the class. Click on it to get the class preloading.
- A confirmation modal will pop up on the screen, so tap on it.
- The class will start downloading, and you will see a checkmark indicating a complete download.
- You can repeat the process with several other classes that you may need to access while offline.
- Then, go to the preloads tab, and you can select the class you want to take offline.
- Note that you will still need active internet even to access the preloaded class. However, once the class starts running, you can put off the internet. Here’s a details guide about how to Preload Class.
The Just Ride Feature Without Internet
There are times when you are on your bike, and the internet connection is too bumpy for a complete Peloton class. Sadly, there is no preload feature on the Peloton bike.
The good news is that you still have something you can use for a fitness session; the Just Ride feature. So, hop onto your bike and turn on the Just Ride feature. You don’t need to be online to enjoy this freelance ride!
Can I Repeat a Preloaded Class Without Internet?
Not exactly. If you want to repeat a class without the internet, you will have to repeat it before it is over. Once the class is complete, you will need an internet connection to restart the class.
Will Peloton Classes Record If I Take a Class Offline?
No, the classes, metrics and Leaderboard will not show when you take a class offline. However, you can get around it by taking a class offline and introducing the internet just before the class ends. If you do this, your Peloton metrics will update.
Can I Use Data Instead of Wifi for Peloton?
Yes, you can. You can stream or preload classes on the Peloton app on your phone using your data. You can also hotspot your laptop from your phone and still stream a class.
Note that using data is still using the internet so that you will have all the benefits of streaming a class online, including recorded metrics.
Do Preloaded Peloton Classes Remain in the Phone Space?
Amazingly, the classes you preload will always be there so that you can take them months after the preload. However, remember that preloaded classes download into your phone, tablet or iPad. Therefore, they consume space that might be too much over time.
For this reason, you should consider deleting classes you won’t be taking sooner to free up some space. After all, you can preload them later when you need them.
How to Delete Preloaded Classes
Below is a simplified process for deleting preloaded Peloton classes;
- Go to the preloaded tab on your phone.
- Next, tap on a pencil icon that appears at the top right corner.
- Then, select all the classes you want to be deleted.
- Click on the trashcan that appears at the top of the screen, and confirm that you want to delete the class.
Reasons for Using Peloton Without Internet
Below are reasons why you will find the preload feature helpful in Peloton;
- Low internet speed. Peloton recommends that you use a minimum of 15 MBPS for seamless streaming. When your internet speed is lower, the class will keep loading during your active session, delaying and disappointing you. So, preloading the class will help avoid disappointment.
- High data consumption. Peloton streaming is expensive if you decide to use data instead of wifi, with a 30-minute class taking up to 600 MBs. However, if you preload the class and take a larger part of the class offline, you will save the data.
- Outdoor classes: Peloton offers yoga anywhere and outdoor running and walking classes. If you are in a location where the internet will be low or need offline streaming, you can preload the classes on wifi for use outdoors.
- When Travelling: When travelling, you may get a hotel with low internet speed yet want to take a Peloton class. In this case, the preloading feature is always a saviour.
Related: Peloton Hotels and Bikes to Ride When Travelling
The Preload Feature is for On-demand Peloton Classes
Can you take Peloton live classes offline? Sadly, no. You can only take the Peloton classes offline if you take on-demand classes, which are the only ones with the preload feature.
Live Peloton classes happen as you take the class, so there is no way that you can preload the class for offline viewing. However, if you really want the live class, you can wait for at least 30 minutes after the class. By then, Peloton will have added the class to the on-demand library, where you can take the class offline after preloading.
Nonetheless, you will miss out on features such as the Leaderboard, a live instructor, an instructor shoutout, and high-fives from fellow users.
In a Nutshell;
It is possible to take a Peloton on-demand class offline using the preload feature. However, you will need the internet first to preload the class and also to start the class.
Offline classes will save you on data, and slow loading speed, among other internet challenges.
- Can I Use Peloton Digital App with Peloton Bike? Yes, You Can. How?
- Can You Use Peloton Bike Without Subscription? Yes, You can
- Can You Ride A Peloton With Regular Shoes?
- Can You Convert Peloton Default Pedals to SPD or Flat Pedals? Yes, You Can!
- Can You Convert Peloton (Delta) Shoes To SPD? The Answer Is Yes!
- Peloton Bike Won’t Turn On; Proven Method to Fix Both Bike and Bike Plus